Produced to demanding specifications for physical and chemical properties and consistency, Carmeuse products help our steel customers stay in step with evolving quality and environmental requirements while maximizing productivity and efficiency.
Typically, lime is put to use in primary steelmaking and secondary refining processes:
- Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) and Basic Oxygen Furnaces (BOF, QBOP, KOBM): Quicklime (dolomitic and high calcium) is used by steelmakers as a flux agent to efficiently and effectively remove impurities such as phosphorus, silica and alumina from scrap melting in the EAF. In the Basic Oxygen Process, phosphorus and silica are removed from the liquid pig iron. High quality dolomitic quicklime also helps steelmakers maintain the refractory life of their furnaces and control energy costs in the EAF through the foamy slag process.
- Secondary steel refining: lime plays a key role in fine tuning steel chemistry, lowering oxygen content, removal of impurities such as sulfur and reduction in inclusions trapped by the basic slag.
- In stainless steelmaking lime is used in the Argon Oxygen Decarburization Furnace (AOD),
- Lime is used in these secondary processes, Ladle Metallurgical Furnace, (LMF) and Vacuum Degassing,
Carmeuse lime products commonly used in steel manufacturing:
- Metallurgical High Calcium pebble and pulverized lime
- Metallurgical Dolomitic pebble and pulverized lime blends
- - An environmental lime for EAF, AOD, BOF furnace applications.
- - injection lime for flexibility in slag chemistry for the steelmaker with accurate flux additions.