Produced from high quality natural ores at 8 facilities in North America, Carmeuse’s milled limestone products are used in a variety of industrial applications offering affordable and versatile solutions including coal mine safety dust.
Milled limestone, referred to as “rock dust” by the coal industry, is an additive used for safety in underground bituminous coal mines. The particles of the milled limestone mix with coal dust to prevent a potential explosion. Rock dust is blown or sprayed (as a slurry) onto the roof, ribs and floor of the mine, and needs to be re-applied on a regular basis to maintain its effectiveness.
Carmeuse provides the following benefits to its coal mining customers:
- A leader in rock dust supply
- One of the largest rock dust supply networks in North America
- Flexibility to serve big and small operations
- Key industry stakeholder with NIOSH & MSHA
Benefits of Milled Limestone in Rock Dust:
- MINER SAFETY
- Light color improves miner visibility